Silent Etudes

This blog is a mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. It's a place they turn the lights down low, the jigsaw jazz and the jet fresh flow. A place for the humble, the nimble, the inward and the handmade. A jam session where Django Reinhardt meets Ludwig Wittgenstein while listening to Baden Powell quoting Charlie Parker. A pithy palace of puns and subversions. A place for broken chords and backyard tropes.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My Current Instrument


My current axe. It’s a Giambattista G6, spruce top, rosewood sides and back. I got it back in 2003 from Robert Page, proprietor of the Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia, PA. He is an honest, very knowledgeable guy, and his shop is a joy for anyone interested in the guitar. If you are on the east coast, I would definitely recommend a pilgrimage to the shop. http://www.classicalguitarstore.com

Since purchasing the guitar, I’ve played it on average, 3-4 hours per day. The sound still knocks me out. While it is a “factory” made guitar, it seems to feel much more like a luthier’s instrument than the typical Yamaha or other entry level nylon string instrument. I would like to think it is because the guitar is made in Paris by French/Italian craftsman, old world guys with a rich heritage of guitar building. But, maybe I’m just imagining it. In any case, for under $2,000 it is an excellent, beautifully made instrument pleasing to both eye and ear. The spruce top helps set it apart from most "student" guitars and is largely responsible for the wonderful clarity and definition of tone. Projection and sheer volume are very good as well.

One of the things I like most about guitars is the fact that, unlike most other material things, they actually improve with age and use. I am looking forward to many more years of intense playing on this instrument. I hope to post a sound file here soon so you can hear it. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home